Last updated on April 4th, 2023
You’ve probably heard of craps before, but did you know that online craps was also available in the state of New Jersey? Set foot in any Atlantic City casino and listen out for the rowdiest crowd, that will be the craps table. The online version of the popular game is still pretty new, but there are a few places you can play it right now. Our extensive online guide will tell you everything you need to know about the game, including how and where to play it, the best strategies and much more. Keep reading on to get the lowdown.
Best Online Casino to Play Online Craps in New Jersey
If you’re looking to play craps online, you’ll be happy to know that the vast majority of major online casinos in the state of New Jersey offer at least one variation of the game. Some of the casinos in which you’ll find online craps are:
- BetMGM Casino – one of the giants of the online casino industry in the state. It’s no surprise to see that they offer craps, including a live version.
- Borgata Casino – as a sister site to BetMGM Casino, Borgata offers the same craps games, which includes live craps.
- PartyCasino – in the same gambling family as BetMGM and Borgata. Get the same games, as well as First Person Craps from Evolution Gaming.
If you’re looking for the best online craps experience, our advice is go with one of the well-known names listed above. However, any of the above mentioned casinos will provide you with some great craps gameplay.
How to Play Online Craps
As a newcomer, the rules of craps can be a little bit overwhelming and that’s something that puts a lot of people off playing. Once you understand it, however, it can be a really entertaining game, as well as a good way of winning some money. To help you get to grips with it, we’ll outline how to play craps below. A typical game of craps will consist of two rounds in total. In the first phase – known as the “come-out roll”, you as the player must decide whether you’re betting with or without the table. Betting with the table implies that you’re betting on the pass line, while betting without the table implies that you’re placing a don’t pass line bet. In order to place a bet, drag your chips that you want to wager onto the appropriate area of the screen. The bets you can place on a game of online craps are:
- Pass line – you win if the come-out roll is 7 or 11. If it’s 2, 3 or 12, you lose. Any other number establishes a point and you win if the dice hit that point before hitting a 7. If the dice hit 7 before hitting the point, you lose.
- Don’t pass line – basically the opposite of a pass line bet. If the dice land on 2 or 3 on the first roll, you win. You can also win if the dice hit 7 before hitting the point number in the second phase. If the come-out roll is 7 or 11, you lose, with 12 being a push.
- Come – the same as a pass line bet, but only available after the dice have established a point.
- Don’t come – the same as a don’t pass line bet, but only available after the dice have established a point.
- Hard 4 – a pair of 2s landed before a 1&3, 3&1, or 7. Pays out at 7/1.
- Hard 6 – a pair of 3s landed before a 6 or 7. Pays out at 9/1.
- Hard 8 – a pair of 4s landed before an 8 or 7. Pays out at 9/1.
- Hard 10 – a pair of 5s landed before a 10 or 7. Pays out at 7/1.
- Place bet – pick a point number and win if dice hit that number before 7.
- Lay bet – the opposite of a place bet.
- Field – a one-roll bet that wins if the dice land on 2,3,4,9,10,11 or 12.
- Any craps bet – a bet on number 2, 3, or 12. Pays out at 8/1.
- Aces – a one roll bet that wins if a pair of ones are rolled. Payouts can vary from 30/1 to 33/1 depending on the casino.
- Ace-deuce – a one-roll bet that wins on 1&2 or 2&1. Pays between 15/1 and 16/1.
- Yo/eleven – a winning bet if dice hit a 5&6 or 6&5 combination. Pays between 15/1 and 16/1.
- Midnight/boxcars – rolling a 12 results in a win. Pays between 15/1 and 16/1.
- Big red – a one-roll bet on a 7. Pays out at 4/1.
Best Apps to Play Online Craps
Since you can’t play online craps at all of the online casinos in the state of New Jersey, that means it isn’t available on all of the apps either. Casino apps are a condensed version of the casino’s website, optimized for mobile and tablet devices. Therefore, it stands to reason that you should be able to find craps on the following:
- BetMGM Casino App
- Borgata Casino App
- PartyCasino App
Free Online Craps, What is it? And Why do users like it?
If you want to try out playing craps before committing to depositing any funds into your account, you can try out some free online craps. Free craps is exactly what you think it is. It’s a way of playing the game, with pretend money or chips, that doesn’t cost you anything. This is also why players enjoy free online craps. It’s the perfect way for you to get your head around the rules and different types of bets before playing online for real. If you’re new to craps, we recommend you try a free version first.
Variations of Online Craps
If you’re looking to play craps online you’ll find that, unlike in a real life casino, you can choose from a variation of game types. The types of craps games you can play online are in New Jersey are:
- Bank Craps – the most common variant. All bets are made against the house.
- Crapless craps – a reduced house edge to bank craps.
- High point craps – the variant most different regular craps. Main difference is that a player must get a total exceeding the established point in order to win.
- Simplified craps – as the name suggests, a much more simple version of the game. No side bets or Pass line/Don’t pass line bets. The dice are rolled and whether you win or lose depends on the number. For the simpler game play, a larger house edge is sacrificed.
- Live craps – like live casino, play online craps with a real life dealer in a real life casino for real life cash!
Strategies to use in Online Craps
There’s no definitive way to win when playing online craps. However, there are things you can do that can help your chances of winning. Following these strategies to ensure you have the best chance of beating the house:
- Do plenty of research – know the rules before playing and try out free versions to get to grips with it.
- Don’t experiment with betting markets – while there’s lots of different ways to bet, the pass line and don’t pass line bets are statistically the most profitable over time. Stick to these if you want the best chance to win.
- Place the odds bet – a unique bet in which there is zero (0) house edge. For obvious reasons, there are restrictions on how much can be staked.
- Avoid proposition bets – these bets have the highest house edge. Yes, the payouts are much larger than some other bet types, however the risk is much higher too. Not the way to go if you’re going to be playing the long game.