Last updated on March 30th, 2023
When it comes to playing online card games, casino holdem is up there with the most popular in the state of New Jersey. One of the main reasons is that it’s a straightforward enough game to understand and once you’ve got it figured out, you can play for hours. Holdem, derived from the popular card game Texas Holdem, is probably the most popular and most recognized online poker game in the world. Up until recent years, avid poker players would rather play real life holdem in bricks and mortar casinos, or opt for an online video poker format instead. The introduction of live casino holdem has changed the landscape and allows anyone, beginner or expert, to join a real life table, with a real life dealer, and play for real life winnings. Here, our experts will provide you with everything you need to know including where to play casino holdem, how to play it and even some strategies to help you win.
Best Online Casinos in New Jersey for Casino Holdem
Although a lot of providers in the Garden State allow you to play online casino holdem on their sites, some are significantly better than others. We’re not just talking about playing holdem here, either. If you’re going to sign up and play online with your hard earned cash, you want an online casino that excels across the board, not just with one particular game. That’s why our experts have picked out the above online casinos, so you can rest assured that you’re going to get the best possible experience. Whoever you choose to play with, whether it be one of the above or not, be sure to review any potential offers and promotions that you can qualify for to further enhance your online casino holdem experience.
How to Play Casino Holdem with Real Dealers
Not sure how to play casino holdem? No problem! We’ve got your back… First thing you need to do is to place your bet in the ‘ante’ section of the table. This is similar to placing a blind in regular poker and must be done before any cards are dealt. Once your bet is placed, you and the dealer will each be dealt two cards. You can see the two cards you’ve been dealt, but not the dealer’s. Three community cards are then dealt on the table. At this point, some optional side bets will be settled, depending on whether or not you’ve placed any. You then have a decision to make to either fold your hand and lose your ante stake, or call to keep going. A call bet is double the ante bet amount you placed at the start. If you call, a further two community cards are then dealt. The aim is to at this point make the best five card hand possible (this will be done automatically by the software). In casino holdem, the best hand wins. If you have the best hand, you’re the winner. If the dealer has the better hand, you lose everything you’ve staked to that point. To help you understand all of the possible hands, we’ll outline them in order of best to worst below.
- Royal Flush – the best possible hand. Consists of a 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace all of the same suit.
- Straight Flush – any combination of number cards in order and of the same suit. For example, 2,3,4,5 and 6 all of hearts.
- Four of a kind – exactly how it sounds. Your hand consists of all four of the same cards from a deck. For example, four 10s.
- Full House – made up of a pair of cards and three of another. For example, two 5s and three 8s.
- Flush – five cards, all of the same suit. The type of card is irrelevant, only the suit.
- Straight – five cards in numerical order, but not in the same suit.
- Three of a kind – three cards of the same kind, for example three 8s. The remaining two cards in the hand are made up of the two highest on the table.
- Two pair – two separate pairs of cards. For example, a pair of 2s and a pair of 4s.
- Pair – a single pair of cards. For example, two aces.
- High Card – you don’t have any of the above hands, but have a high card, such as an ace.
Strategies to use in Casino Holdem
Unfortunately, there’s no 100% way to guarantee you win in any form of gambling and casino holdem is no different. However, there are certain strategies that you can use that can increase your chance of winning a hand. To give you a helping hand, we’ve outlined some of our top casino holdem strategies below.
- Always play with a pair or better – you’re giving yourself a good chance of winning the hand, even if it’s a low pair.
- Call if you have an ace, king, queen or jack in your hand – high cards occur more often in casino holdem, as it’s only you against the dealer.
- Be wary of a dealer flush – if the first three community cards are all the same suit and you don’t have any to match, you should consider folding.
- Call when on a flush or straight – if you’re just one card off a flush or straight, you should call to reveal the final two cards.
- Fold lower value cards – if both of your cards are lower than 10, you should consider folding. Unless, of course, it’s a pair.
We hope that, armed with this knowledge, you are ready to get out there and beat the dealer at casino holdem. The only thing you have to do now is decide which online casino you’re going to play with. Good luck!