Last updated on January 27th, 2023
Gambling New Jersey Guide January 2023
Online gambling is the quickest and easiest way to place a bet on your favourite sports, or play your favourite casino games. Whether you’re a gambling pro, or a complete novice, it helps to know the ins and outs of the online gambling world. Here, we provide a complete guide.
Best Online Gambling Sites
In some states, online gambling, and gambling as a whole, is still illegal. However, online gambling has been legal in New Jersey since 2013 and, as such, is now very much established in this area. The Garden State was also at the forefront of the fight to bring sportsbook betting to states outside of Nevada and saw online sports betting legalized in 2018. Since then, there has been an explosion in the amount of online betting sites that New Jersey residents can choose from. We’ll list some of the best online gambling sites below.
- Golden Nugget Casino – a household name in the gambling powerhouses that are Las Vegas and Atlantic City. Golden Nugget’s online casino offering is truly unrivaled, with a selection of over 1,000 games for players to choose from, and that number is going up.
- bet365 NJ – probably the biggest and most popular online sports betting site in the world. bet365 has dominated the market in Europe and came to New Jersey in 2019 looking to expand into the US. Boasting a hugely popular sportsbook and online casino, they’re definitely one of the major players.
One thing you won’t be short of is choice in relation to online gambling. However, you should research and compare things like welcome offers, casino game selections, and sportsbook markets before committing to bet with one.
Best Online Gambling Apps
The quickest and easiest way to gamble online is via a dedicated app and, fortunately for residents of New Jersey, all of the major players boast dedicated apps that can be downloaded to your mobile device. To help you decide which one to download, we’ll list some of the best online gambling apps.
- Caesars Sportsbook & Casino – Caesars are an experienced online gambling provider that offers an app that is easy to navigate and loads quickly. Not only that, you can seamlessly switch between the sportsbook and casino depending on your gambling preferences.
- BetMGM NJ – one of the premier sportsbook offerings boasting a fast loading app that is also simple to navigate. A popular feature of the BetMGM NJ app is the early cashout option, allowing players to take their winnings before a bet is settled.
- Unibet Sportsbook & Casino – have plenty of experience operating sportsbook and casino products overseas and have expanded into New Jersey. A functional, colorful app really makes it pop and makes it instantly recognizable. Particularly good for soccer betting fans.
- PointsBet NJ – another top performing sportsbook operator with an app that allows you to bet on pro and college sports, as well as an array of international sports. Offers a unique “Points Betting” option that allows for better odds for more accurate predictions.
It may take some trial and error before you find an online gambling app that suits your needs. However, you can use the list above as a starting point in your journey.
If you’re new to online gambling, or even if you’re not, you should only ever gamble when you have a full understanding of what you’re doing. The first thing to note is that there is a wide variety of things you can gamble on, especially online. The most popular pastime is undoubtedly sports betting. Sports fanatics have the opportunity to put their knowledge to the test in a bid to win big, but it’s important to know about the different markets and how to get value. It’s not just sporting events that people can gamble on, either, with online casinos also making up a massive amount of the player base. While there is less emphasis on knowledge to play these games, a knowledge of the rules is still required to be successful.
Best Gambling Strategies
Despite what some might say, there is no definitive winning strategy when gambling online. However, it’s still important to have some sort of strategy when gambling with your money. For sports betting, one of the best strategies is to dedicate time to researching teams, players, coaches of the sport you’re looking to bet on. This will help you to predict the outcome of future games. For online casino games, there’s not much you can do in the way of strategy, as so many games are reliant on luck. One popular online game that does require some strategy in poker. It’s important to know when to play your hand and when to fold, as well as perfecting the art of the bluff.
How to Gamble Safely Online
One of the key things to remember when gambling online is to do so safely. One of the easiest ways to do that is to check that the site you are gambling on has a valid gambling license. This information can usually be found in the footer of the website. Arguably the most important thing is ensuring that your payment method is secure. Make sure the site you’re using offers secure payment such as PayPal or Neteller.
Player Registration Process Made Easy for Gambling in New Jersey
What do I Need to Start Playing with a Licensed NJ Operator?Here’s the good news – getting started with a licensed and regulated NJ operator is pretty easy. There are no major prerequisites to worry about, just as long as you meet the following basic criteria:
- You’re 21 years of age or older
- You have an accepted payment method
- You’re located within the state of NJ
- You have a reliable internet connection
- You’re able to provide proof of ID
Geolocalization of Players: How it WorksUnsurprisingly, online betting sites aren’t usually willing to take customers’ assurances at face value because being licensed and regulated means they need to apply the rules and regulations given to them by the local gaming commission. Instead, the latest geolocation technology is used to check where players are located. This is one of the legal requirements placed on online gambling sites in New Jersey, which are only permitted to offer their services to players within the same state. For instance, if you’re not in NJ and you try to place a wager or play one of the many casino games on offer, you’re going to be asked to install a “Player Location Check” application so that the online casino or bookmaker can verify you’re actually in New Jersey.
How to Register at an Online Casino in NJ
- Use our listings to find an online casino you can trust
- Hit the ‘Register’ or ‘Sign Up’ button on the home page
- Enter the information required to open your account
- Confirm your account by e-mail and log in using your credentials
- Deposit funds into your account to play for real money
- Enter bonus codes where prompted
Best Online Casinos in New Jersey
How to Register for Online Poker in NJ
The process of registering for online poker in NJ is pretty much identical and follows the same basic six steps. Some online casinos have their own dedicated poker areas available on-site, while others exclusively offer poker and nothing else. Again, depositing funds is optional as most poker sites have free tables available with virtual currency wagering.
Best Online Poker Rooms in New Jersey
- Safe and reputable online poker brand
- Lots of games to choose from
- Generous bonuses
- Qualify for real WSOP events online
- Welcome bonus is very high
- A lot of tournament options
- Very good schedule between the tournaments
- Excellent cashback loyalty scheme
- Daily tournaments to choose from
- Impressive poker software
- Over 1,000 casino games
- Optimized for mobile play
Up To $75 In Free Tournaments
- $25 Free with the Signup
- One of the best software for online poker
- Big Poker events and World Poker Tour are supported
- The best choice for beginners
Up to $75 In Free Play
How to Register for Online Sports Betting in NJ
The only real difference when registering for online sports betting in NJ is that there is usually no allowance for free play. You’ll need to deposit funds into your account to take part in the betting activities available, so it’s more of a mandatory requirement. Other than this, the process is the same – hit the button, enter the information required, confirm your account and log in.
Top Sports Bookmakers in New Jersey
- Wide variety of sports to bet on
- Huge selection of betting markets to choose from
- Friendly user experience
- Promos and offers for new and existing customers
- Lots of deposit and withdrawal options
- Limited live betting opportunities
- Odds not as competitive as other top sportsbooks
- Some offers come with a low max be
up to $1000
- One of the most trusted sports betting brands
- Available in more US states than any other sportsbook operator
- Generous risk free bonus for new customers
- Live streaming available for certain sports and events
- Not all promotions are the same across each state
- App experience inferior to other big name providers
- Separate app for casino product
$10 Free Weekly
- Excellent desktop version
- Excellent mobile app
- Very helpful Customer Support
- Big variety of banking options
- Not available live stream option
- Small variety of live betting options
Free Bet up to $1,250
- Very tempting odds
- Great streaming platform and service
- Big offers for new bettors joining
- One of the best platform interface
- Fast bets settling
- One of the best customers service
- Not enough bonus for the existing players
- Some accounts got limited
Get Also: Bet only 1$!
- Special feature offering boosted odds
- Well optimized mobile app
- Live streaming available
- Large selection of alternative lines and props
- Welcome offer not as strong as competitors
- A lot of the site is reserved for casino product promotion
- Occasional glitches or freezes
2nd Chance bet
- Worldwide sports betting experience
- User friendly layout
- Huge range of sports to bet on
- Early cash-out feature
- Customer service not available 24/7
- No rewards program
- Same game parlay builder limited to specific sports
- One of the best online platforms
- Huge welcome bonus
- Great variety of markets and betting options
- Excellent customer support
- Not a lot of options for inplay betting
- Limited promotions
- Offers unique wagering types not found elsewhere
- User-friendly app
- Wide range of bonuses for customers
- Excellent customer service
- Does not offer live streaming
- Possibility of losing more than your initial wager
- No opportunity for round robins or teasers
- Trusted gambling brand
- Competitive lines
- Great new customer offer
- Good customer service
- Infrequent promotions
- Limited choice of sports to bet on
- Mobile app not great
+$50 Casino Bonus
How to Deposit and Withdraw
All legal gambling operators in NJ have their own unique policies and procedures where deposits and withdrawals are concerned. Terms and conditions covering transactions in both directions should therefore be consulted, prior to signing up. With most reputable casinos and betting sites, the deposit process looks a little like this:
- Log into your account the normal way
- Click the ‘Deposit Funds’ option or equivalent tab
- Choose from a variety of payment methods
- Select how much you would like to deposit
- Enter your payment details when prompted
The vast majority of deposits are credited instantaneously, so there’s no waiting around for the funds to enter your account. Exceptions may apply with some payment methods, so it’s worth double-checking with your chosen casino. As for withdrawals, getting your hands on your winnings works like this:
- Log into your account the normal way
- Click the ‘Withdraw Funds’ option or equivalent
- Enter how much you would like to withdraw
- Submit your request and await confirmation
Most casinos and online betting sites will only allow withdrawals to be actioned using the same payment method used by the player to deposit funds. Processing times vary significantly – online wallets a few hours, credit and debit cards a couple of days, bank transfers to a week and so on. Just be sure to check whether any fees or commissions are payable on withdrawals, which most decent brands have long-since eliminated. In addition, you’ll need to check the provider’s minimum and maximum withdrawal policies to ensure your request is valid.
Last up, it is a requirement for online betting services to verify both the identity and the location of their customers, before actioning withdrawals. This means that at some point along the way, you may be asked to provide formal proof of ID. Passports, driving license and other ID cards are usually accepted, as are recent utility bills and copies of bank statements. As registration and verification policies vary from one betting site to the next, it’s advisable to consult all applicable terms and conditions, before getting started. Alternatively, direct your questions at the site’s customer support team for clarification.
Tax Involvement for Gambling Players in New Jersey
For some, legal online gambling in NJ has the potential to generate healthy revenues. This may apply only to the lucky few, but you never know if and when Lady Luck will be in your corner. In any case, it’s important to know where you stand with regard to gambling tax law in the state of New Jersey. Taxation forms an important part of legal gambling regulation in NJ, irrespective if you win. Read on for a clear and concise overview of your obligations as a gambler in NJ.
Is Gambling Income Taxable?
The short answer is yes – all gambling income is taxable. Hence, gambling gains tax reporting is also a legal requirement. At a Federal level, gambling income is taxable by way of a non-progressive system. This means that whether your annual gambling profits are $5 or $500,000, you still pay the same flat rate of taxation. A rate currently set at a rather hefty 25%. If you win a relatively big prize, the operator is legally required to withhold 25% of the total payout for tax purposes. They are also obliged to hand the player a W2-G form to report their winnings to the IRS.
Key Points to Note
- Gambling taxes are different from income taxes in that they are not progressive.
- This means that any winnings are regarded as taxable income by the IRS.
- The type of game determines the threshold of winnings that must be reported to the IRS.
What Does the IRS Consider Gambling Income?
All forms of gambling fall under the same basic taxation rules at a Federal level. Along with conventional casino winnings, this also includes poker winnings, bingo winnings, lottery wins and even the cash won on game shows. Importantly, it is the responsibility of the player to keep clear, complete and accurate records of gambling winnings to avoid potential penalties from the IRS. On the plus side, all gambling losses can also be deducted from your gambling revenues to even things out.
New Jersey Taxation
All US states impose their own additional gambling taxation policies – New Jersey included. In NJ, any gambling prize of more than $10,000 is considered taxable. Though this refers to individual prize payouts – not total annual winnings. For example, if you were to take home $9,000 one day at a casino and pocket $8,000 the next through betting, your $17,000 would not be subject to New Jersey Gross Income Tax. However, if you won a single prize of $17,000, the full amount would be taxable. The New Jersey taxation structure for gambling winnings is as follows:
- 5% for gambling payouts between $10,001 and $500,000;
- 8% for gambling payouts over $500,000; and
- 8% for gambling payouts over $10,000, if the claimant does not provide a valid Taxpayer Identification Number.
It’s worth noting that the above rates apply to residents and nonresidents alike. The state allows donating, splitting and assigning gambling winnings to others to reduce or avoid state taxation by splitting larger prizes into smaller payments. Each would then be subject to the normal 25% Federal taxation rate.
Calculating Taxable Income
Taxable gambling income is calculated on the basis of your profits minus your losses. If your gambling losses augment your total winnings, you will be expected to pay tax on them. You can’t report a negative figure on your tax return in New Jersey – net losses must be reported as zero income. In all instances, it will usually be necessary to provide extensive evidence of the gambling losses offsetting your winnings, when submitting your tax return. This could include a daily log or your gambling activities, payments and wagers deducted from your bank account, losing tickets/betting slips and so on. This is particularly important if you are claiming extensive losses against equally extensive gains. The IRS requires the following information to establish and verify your gambling taxation obligations:
- Type of wager or bet
- Name and address of the institution
- Names of other people there at the time
- The amount for each win and loss
Taxable New Jersey gambling winnings should be reported in the category of “net gambling winnings” on your New Jersey Gross Income Tax return.
FAQ for Gambling in Ney Jersey
What is gambling?
Gambling is the act of placing your own money on an uncertain outcome, in the hopes of making a profit in return. The risk you take when gambling is making the wrong decision, in which case you lose your money (also referred to as your “stake”).
Is gambling illegal?
In the state of New Jersey, gambling online or in a bricks and mortar casino is perfectly legal thanks to the New Jersey Casino Control Act of 1977. There are still some states in which gambling is illegal however, so even if you have created an online account in New Jersey, you will not be able to access it in another state. Always check the applicable gambling laws in your state before proceeding to bet online.
What can I bet on?
Given how much the US loves sport, it’s no surprise that sports betting is one of the most popular activities in states where it is legal. You can place bets on sporting events from all over the world including the NFL and NBA right here in the US, to Premier League soccer in the UK. Online casino gambling is also incredibly popular in states like New Jersey, which has a rich casino history thanks to Atlantic City. At online casinos, you can play all the classic table games such as roulette and blackjack, as well as thousands of slot games.
Which online casino is best in New Jersey?
There is no definitive way to tell which online casino is best. Instead, we review all of the top online casinos in the state of New Jersey and provide a thorough, honest opinion on each one. If you’re looking for a new online casino, we suggest you read through our reviews and decide which one sounds like the right one for you.
How do I know the games are fair?
When it comes to gambling, especially online, there can be a level of distrust. However, all online casinos and betting providers are licensed and regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, which is a division of the official Office of the Attorney General. Regular inspections are undertaken to ensure all aspects of gambling are safe and fair for bettors.
Here you can find all the News for Gambling, Tips for the Best Matches of the Day. Brought by the Best Tipsters in New Jersey
Worldwide, one of the most popular and oldest forms of gambling is sports betting. Online…
Gambling online gives bettors several advantages over betting in person. One such scenario includes betting…